Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Grateful

11/05/09
I went all the way to Tahoua and back. That is a lot of busing around, but it was worth it because I met Isseuf, who is coordinating the manufacture and delivery of twenty five brand new desks for the school!!! A very generous Nigerien-American family in the states, which supports girls' education and women's issues in Niger with great passion and empathy, made a private donation to fund this purchase. You know who you are- THANK YOU.

Tomorrow I'll truck and walk my way back to Foloa, for what may be the last time. I'm not sure if another volunteer will follow me, in which case there'll be more back-and-forth in December, or if I'll have other business that pulls me into the city between now and then. But- I am prepared to go in, be in for a month, and then leave, also for the last time. I've got plenty of work to do while I'm in- finishing the painting of a world map, re-filling of the grain bank, planting a garden with the school kids, and about 2,000 goodbyes... you may hear from me before then, but you might not.

Narba painting the world map with Kathleen

Lots of unknowns right now...
One simple sure thing is: I am grateful for the support, curiosity, compassion, and understanding that so many of you have communicated to me through this blog. My experience here has been richer because it is shared, in many ways, with you. Thank you for caring about me, about my friends and family here, and about Niger. I will see many of you soon-- one wonderful thing to look forward to in the midst of so many upcoming goodbyes.



Forever in my heart...

8 comments:

merry said...

As much as I look forward to seeing you and putting my arms around you, I honestly am going to miss this blog and the daily lives of your wonderful Nigerian family.Seeing this little one dance to a song he can't understand is precious!Seeing Narba doing something other than cooking for thousands or carrying a baby on her hip is exciting!I'll miss your stories that you have shared with such love and respect.Thank you, and Kerry, for this blog and being so faithful with it.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to miss the blog too! I *so* look forward to updates and check them immediately and often return to them later while I ponder what you've reported.

And on another note, Stevie Wonder brings out the same moves in me. Love it!

Beth

ps. Manuela is on facebook! Seriously!!

slim pickins said...

thank you thank you thank you thank you - your experience there has so changed lives here. deep deep love and thanks to your family there and here, and most of all to you.

Dan said...

love you and can't wait to host you in our home soon

Peggy said...

It is astounding, all you have lived and accomplished and shared in these last two years. Kerry, without this blog, we all would have been much poorer, during this time. Jessica, I look forward to hopefully seeing you in person sometime soon, but in any case, know that you are a real inspiration and Amazing Woman.

Unknown said...

As a keen reader of your letters on this blog, I must say this was one of the finest, most observant of the many blogs by Peace Corps volunteers in West Africa, especially around rural agriculture and food security -- things we outsiders are so interested in.

I do hope a book comes out of it, and I for one will miss this lovely little window into the struggles and joys of rural Niger.

Unknown said...

Best of luck in all you do and accomplish from here. As a mom of a new pcv in Niger, I have so enjoyed your Letters from Niger. Your writing is lovely and your mother's design and use of images is exquisite. Together you have managed to show the beauty of Niger that is not always apparent. I hope you leave the blog up so that I can return to it, like a well loved book.

I'm not sure if it translates to Hausa, but Emily has taught me that in Zarma I would say you "have or show great effort".

stacy

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog. Thanks for helping bring this part of the world into people's lives like mine. People are beautiful.

Stephen Tremp