Thursday, December 3, 2009

Sai wata rana- Until another day


On my last day in Niger, I:

Woke up nervous

Ran along a sandy road (quiet on the way out, traffic on the way back)

Visited the hospital and bid farewell to the women who are still awaiting fistula surgery

Had a close-of-service interview and only cried during it once

Avoided saying goodbye, as a mutual agreement, with my friends on staff at headquarters (we did a lot of: "see you later, maybe even today!" )

Made and ate lunch with a fellow volunteer from my hometown (sifted bugs out of the pasta and could only barely taste them)

Packed a Going-To-Morocco-In-Sun-Faded-Clothes themed wardrobe

Gave three watermelons to the staff at Air Maroc for helping arrange my flight

Washed my grimey blue sweatshirt so whoever sits next to me on the plane isn't uncomfortable

Spoke to my two homes: parents in Oregon, and parents in...am I allowed to say the name of my village now? Maybe not, since I'm officially still a volunteer, until midnight...Anyway, I spoke with Narba, Mariama, Zuera, Suleil, and a few others.

And that brings us, generally, to Now. I have a few more hours before lift off. Thank you for reading, and I'll see some of you soon. Allah shi kiyaye, Allah shi gumma mu da alheri, Allah shi bada hankuri.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

safe travels Jessica!
what an experience!
Beth

slim pickins said...

we'll see you on the other side...just finished telling friends about the baby patrol, though i didn't remember that that's what you called it, so it came out "mama posse", which i kind of liked...xo

merry said...

Have a safe, restful trip home. Enjoy Morocco and I'll see you in March! Love you

Anonymous said...

I am sad on so many levels to know that you (and others) are no longer in the Tahoua Region. Your blog has brought me to tears and closer to the people I love so many times, this time it is so much harder to read. Your presence in the region has brought hope and connection. It is now a new day.

I hope that our paths will cross again soon. Congratulations and best of luck in all your endeavors.

Please keep in touch because there is still so much to do that can be done ....

My entire family, including those in Tahoua, send you and all the other departing PCV best wishes and big thanks. Na Gode.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Are you home for Christmas? It is going to be climate shock, Hot in Africa, and winter in the US.

Lisa said...

What a beautiful blog! I'm so glad to have found it.

Reya Mellicker said...

Kerry said you had some adventures on your journey home.

Welcome home! And Happy Christmas!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I turst you won't get too much of a cultue shock, may be bjust the snow shock.

Merry Christmas,

Rachel Cotterill said...

That sounds like a busy day, and the end to a busy and exciting period of your life. Here's hoping for more interesting stuff to come in 2010 :)

Friko said...

Happy Landings!