Monday, September 22, 2008

Adjusting

Chameleon in Konni
7/15/08
Well, a week has passed since the beginning of the Mosquito Wars. I am still peppered in itchy welts, but my attitude has improved. Plus, most of my new bites I got in a neighboring village, which somehow makes them easier to deal with. I had four really busy days in a row--lots of walking to and from new villages, lots of interactions with new people. Two months ago, any one of my recent escapades would have wiped me out completely, but now I see that I'm more able/adjusted. It no longer takes quite as much effort and concentration to make it through a day. Not to say that a day here was particularly grueling, but the sheer difference of this place left me physically and emotionally drained on a daily basis for the first several months. And today, sure, my legs are pretty tired, but I'm no worse for the wear...wait, is that how that saying goes...I don't even know! You get the picture.

1 comment:

Merry said...

I think that's called "culture shock", sweetie!! And those of us who have lived in a 3rd world country have experienced it. I think you're adjusting marvelously! I never could have done what you're doing as a single woman. I'm very proud of you!!
Aunt Merry